The name Paramaribo is probably derived from the name of an Indian village, called Parmurbo. A trading post was established in the village at the beginning of the 17th century. This was taken over by the English and they built a fort called Willoughby. In 1667 Abraham Crijsen conquered the area. From the fort Paramaribo was extended to the west. After the abolition of slavery in 1863 and the end of indentured labor in 1873, many people moved to the city.
Paramaribo, the capital of Suriname Is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2002. The place has many buildings of historical importance and religious significance.
Since 2002, the center of Paramaribo has been placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List of
historical monuments. One of the protected buildings is the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral on the former Gravenstraat. This building is entirely made of wood and is also the largest wooden building in South America.
Departure: everyday with a minimum of 1 participant.
Time: 08.00AM – 11AM , 3 hours (also possible to start later)
A Paramaribo city tour by car/bus is also available for EURO 50 per person
we depart with a minimum of 2 persons.
Time: 09.00AM – 12.30PM